FIDE CM Kingscrusher is the webmaster of Chessworld.net
Chessworld.net is a long established online chess site.

If you would like play relaxed, friendly online chess, then

or

And meet other Youtubers or perhaps even play me in a ChessWorld Simul
Support the Kingscrusher Youtube Channel: â–ºSupport via PayPal ($)

 
Chess World Online Chess Forum - Handshake etiquette on time outs

Chessworld Forum Topic


Play | Latest posts | IndexForum Name: Chess - General discussion
Forum goals: world chess events, international chess news, puzzles, OTB games
You are currently subscribed to this forum by Email - Click to unsubscribe
If you see anything that you find offensive, please report it to the Helpdesk forum

  Play ... Latest Forum Posts > Chess Forums > Chess - General discussion
  Handshake etiquette on time outs




Previous Page1 2 3 Next Page   
TamCoblyn

Chess rating: 1990





 Topics started


Wales
Give chess goodie
Mon Nov 27 2017 4:06PM | edited: 4:22:09 | MsgID: 19778322


[Quote from: "Taotaomonas"]
[Quote from: "TamCoblyn"]
As for the 30 seconds statistical maybe generosity.




Quite possibly.... Although one does try from time to time



Possibly cynicism but feel that some moves can stand out instantly whilst others require deeper thought. I just know that it's not clear cut a number of my moves take much longer and others shorter timescales. Not all games, moves or even opponents are the same and can be reliant on the responses provided.







Taotaomonas

Chess rating: 1660





 Topics started


Australia
Give chess goodie
Mon Nov 27 2017 2:41PM | MsgID: 19778316


Originally posted by: "TamCoblyn"

As for the 30 seconds statistical maybe generosity.




Quite possibly.... Although one does try from time to time







TamCoblyn

Chess rating: 1990





 Topics started


Wales
Give chess goodie
Mon Nov 27 2017 6:17AM | edited: 7:19:32 | MsgID: 19778306


[Quote from: "Taotaomonas"]
[Quote from: "TamCoblyn"]......
My interpretation is if playing only a few games the difference is negligible compared to those with higher quotas possibly the thoughts need rectifying, but variances are noticeable....



I believe 90% of members take no more than 30 seconds over a move. Game load is fairly irrelevant if you set the time limit correctly. I would like to think that members who move last hour every 10 days are genuinely CC players looking for the best move ethos.... Judging from personal experience I doubt very much that is true



A rarity perhaps, but worth mentioning especially when you have everything in synchronicity then suddenly a rogue game occurs. Can make you come to the conclusion of "must have played all awaiting games", and then sign off.

Even a minute probability or randomness makes a difference. Has happened to me, and as in most things if it's happened ... .

As for the 30 seconds statistical maybe generosity.









Taotaomonas

Chess rating: 1660





 Topics started


Australia
Give chess goodie
Sun Nov 26 2017 10:31PM | MsgID: 19778304


Originally posted by: "TamCoblyn"
......
My interpretation is if playing only a few games the difference is negligible compared to those with higher quotas possibly the thoughts need rectifying, but variances are noticeable....




I believe 90% of members take no more than 30 seconds over a move. Game load is fairly irrelevant if you set the time limit correctly. I would like to think that members who move last hour every 10 days are genuinely CC players looking for the best move ethos.... Judging from personal experience I doubt very much that is true







TamCoblyn

Chess rating: 1990





 Topics started


Wales
Give chess goodie
Sat Nov 25 2017 10:25PM | edited: 10:52:09 | MsgID: 19778298


[Quote from: "Reyn"]
[Quote from: "TamCoblyn"]
By reading some of Tao...'s comments blatantly clear that that's not constantly or consistently guaranteed.


My personal preference is for:

"Time left - your turn first then opponent"

This way, you do not have to switch views and you catch all of your games.



Observing whether or not variation occurs between the highlighted choice and the games presented on the play page is the reasoning behind the enquiry. Clearance of all awaiting games can be considered to be of secondary importance. Hence why some may be missed.

My interpretation is if playing only a few games the difference is negligible compared to those with higher quotas possibly the thoughts need rectifying, but variances are noticeable.







Reyn

Chess rating: 1392



 Topics started


Canada
Give chess goodie
Sat Nov 25 2017 5:39PM | edited: 5:41:24 | MsgID: 19778296


Originally posted by: "TamCoblyn"

By reading some of Tao...'s comments blatantly clear that that's not constantly or consistently guaranteed.



My personal preference is for:

"Time left - your turn first then opponent"

This way, you do not have to switch views and you catch all of your games.







Taotaomonas

Chess rating: 1660





 Topics started


Australia
Give chess goodie
Sat Nov 25 2017 11:14AM | edited: 11:19:06 | MsgID: 19778284


Originally posted by: "bwzins64"

I always go to my 'My Current Games' page first and search by 'Time Left' or 'Your Turn And Least Time Left'. It's not possible to time out if you do that. If that's not the first place you go to, then it should be. (Just trying to be clear.)




Technically you can of course still time out. But you are correct that the latter filter is the one most likely to avoid you doing so. I believe it is the default anyway unless that is just how I have mine set!

edit Another one that catches people out is 10 in 50. The rules are sometimes misinterpreted.







bwzins64

Chess rating: 2208





 Topics started


United States
Give chess goodie
Chess goodies: 1
Sat Nov 25 2017 7:24AM | MsgID: 19778277


Originally posted by: "Big_Uggy"
I'm not sure how this works for players in time default: if they log in, is there anything to remind them? Are games always presented in shortest-time order?
I'm wondering about the players who have 150 - 250 games on the go at a time: is it possible they logged in, spent a couple of hours maybe working through their games list, and just never got to the time-overdue ones?
If I can see a player has been online during the last (number of days for tournament) and has not made a move, I would claim a time-out win, and not feel obliged to handshake; but if they have not been online at all, there might be unavoidable reasons, so I'd wait to see. I don't blame playesr who always claim the time win when possible, though. Rules is rules.




I always go to my 'My Current Games' page first and search by 'Time Left' or 'Your Turn And Least Time Left'. It's not possible to time out if you do that. If that's not the first place you go to, then it should be. (Just trying to be clear.)







TamCoblyn

Chess rating: 1990





 Topics started


Wales
Give chess goodie
Sat Nov 25 2017 5:07AM | MsgID: 19778276


[Quote from: "Reyn"]
[Quote from: "Big_Uggy"] I'm not sure how this works for players in time default: if they log in, is there anything to remind them? Are games always presented in shortest-time order?


It depends which setting you use in My Stuff ... My Moves ... Current Games List - order by ...



By reading some of Tao...'s comments blatantly clear that that's not constantly or consistently guaranteed.







Reyn

Chess rating: 1392



 Topics started


Canada
Give chess goodie
Fri Nov 24 2017 8:02PM | MsgID: 19778273


Originally posted by: "Big_Uggy"
I'm not sure how this works for players in time default: if they log in, is there anything to remind them? Are games always presented in shortest-time order?



It depends which setting you use in My Stuff ... My Moves ... Current Games List - order by ...







Previous Page1 2 3 Next Page